Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Random racing ruminations

On May 15, 2014 Lily, my daughter, was born. On May 13, 2014, I wrote a blog post about the years of age, which was composed while sitting on my front porch drinking a beer. I had just decided to forgo a run on a beautiful day because relaxing with alcohol was more enticing, which was basically the impetus of the blog post: reflections regarding where I've been and where I'm going in life.

After those ruminations about my health status and impending fatherhood, my thoughts have returned to running and the importance of staying healthy so I can be a great father to a very tiny, precious girl.

Running has been nonexistent in my life since Lily's birth. And I want running back. I need it back. To keep myself accountable I signed up for the Lincoln Half-Marathon on May 3, 2015. I began my official training tonight after work and as my shoes hit the pavement of the concrete steps leading down the front porch towards a long-term arduous goal, the wandering thoughts began.

I thought about my first half-marathon which was also in Lincoln.

I thought about when I convinced myself it was unnecessary to run another half-marathon. This was when my mind really began racing, probably a result of a runners high, bundled up with three layers of clothing in the dark winter air. Running is when thoughts frantically flip, and sometimes clarity presents itself. So here is the randomness (or at least some of it), in no particular order, from my experience this evening:

While I'm running again, I should also write.

A great way to write again is to document my training for the half-marathon; therefore I will do that, blog about every training run.

I'm excited to be running again, but I'm insane to be doing this. I should have a title, a theme, for these blog posts about running. Wait. I'm really not running now. This is more like a jog. Gosh I'm out of shape. I hope I don't slip on ice. I need a play on words for a title. Maybe the theme could be how my mind "races" when I run. Would that be appealing to readers? Running, racing, get it? That's kinda clever. . .

Brown bear brown bear, what do you see? I see a red bird looking at me. Damn, I will never, EVER,  get that book out of my head.

I've learned a lot about myself since Lily was born. I want to be present as a father, but I also want to provide for my family. Changing jobs has been the best thing for me to accomplish those dichotomous goals. I can't believe I used to spend 10-12 hours a day at work. Life is too short for that.

Lily, is discovering her voice: high screams, rhythmic jaw movements, lips vibrating against the back of her wrist, yells of frustration, the tongue da da da da sounds on the roof of her mouth, and deep guttural sounds combined from the back of her throat and diaphragm. She's fun.

It's a good thing I put my 16 weeks of training into my calendar otherwise I would talk myself out of this.

I wonder what other topics I should write about as I return to blogging . . .

I returned home, three miles later, feeling accomplished and energetic, which is the best part of running: the after-effects. The results of doing something productive will hopefully inspire me further in running and writing.


WEEK 16
(3 mile run)
Temperature 27 degrees
Mile 1 = 10:10
Mile 2 = 9:45
Mile 3 = 9:54

No comments:

Post a Comment